Fears About Childbirth
In this exercise you will begin to work through some of the feelings you have about childbirth. You will need to think about how you talk about childbirth and how that relates to your understanding of the childbirth process. You will also need to think about the people and ideas that are influencing your beliefs about giving birth.
Finish the following statements about your experience and your feelings.
- I believe childbirth...
- One of my worst fears for the labor and birth is...
- When I talk about giving birth with other people ...
- I have concerns about giving birth because...
- What fears arise from your mother's retelling of your birth?
- What fears arise from previous experiences at birth (as the mother or witness).
- What fears arise from the anticipation of being out of control?
- What fears arise from the expectation of pain associated with labor?
- What fears arise from the understanding you are becoming a mother (again)?
- What fears arise from the anticipation of the physical process of labor?
- What fears arise from the anticipation of being "watched" and meeting expectations?
- What fears arise from the anticipation of breastfeeding?
- What fears arise from comments made by family or friends?
- If I felt strong and powerful, I'd like to...