Childbirth Meditation: Enjoy
It's not impossible to enjoy giving birth, even if you have pain. Many of the things we enjoy most in life come with some amount of pain or discomfort.
It is interesting that women rate their satisfaction of childbirth not on how much pain they felt, but on how much of a voice they had in making decisions during the process.
There are two ways to enjoy. One way is to enjoy while it is happening, laughing at the crazy things that happen and relishing every moment. The other is to look back at something you accomplished and hold the memories of it in your heart. Enjoy pregnancy the first way, and giving birth the second.
You don't have to enjoy feeling your baby move because your friend did. You don't have to be annoyed by your baby's kicks because your friend was. You have the power to choose which parts of your pregnancy you enjoy and which ones you put up with because you enjoy the rest.
Somethings in childbirth can be enjoyed with others. Somethings can only be enjoyed by the mother experiencing them. It is OK to want to share your joy, and it is OK to keep some things private.
One of the amazing things about pregnancy and childbirth is that you don't have to enjoy it to make it valuable. You can enjoy the outcome without having felt too good about the process.
Encouraging words for you
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Questions to work through
- What determines how much you enjoy, or don't enjoy, an experience?
- What are the things you expected to enjoy about pregnancy, but are not?
- How important is your attitude in affecting how much you enjoy pregnancy?
- How can you improve the parts of pregnancy you don't enjoy?
- As you look forward to giving birth, what do you expect to enjoy? What do you expect to not enjoy?